A question that we often get asked is, "Can you use a Chromebook with SmarterProctoring? The short answer is yes! Chromebooks can be used with SmarterProctoring.
Watch the short 3-minute video below to learn more about the compatibility with Chromebooks and SmarterProctoring.
Don't want to watch the video? No problem! You can read the video summary below.
We think Chromebooks are great! In fact, we created a "Top 10 Reasons Chromebooks Are Awesome" list below:
10. They are quite durable (Last year I watched my 9th-grade daughter carry around her Chromebook all year long! At the end of the school year, it was still working fine.).
9. They don't have a spinning hard drive (The hard drive in a Chromebook is almost like one of those little thumb drives. There are no spinning parts which plays into its durability.).
8. They are really light-weight.
7. They have a long battery life.
6. They start up really quickly.
5. They have a built-in webcam so you never have to worry about buying a separate webcam attachment.
4. The wireless works great.
3. They are very portable.
2. They are less expensive than standard computers.
But the number 1 reason why Chromebooks are awesome is because a Chromebook can be used for all functionality of SmarterProctoring, including automated and record-and-review testing.
Using your Chromebook and SmarterProctoring, you can do a lot of things. For example, you can:
- Schedule any type of proctoring that your school offers.
- Reschedule if your plans change.
- Pay for exams if your school requires that.
- Take your exam with SmarterProctoring's automated proctoring.
One thing that you do need to be aware of is that if your school is using ProctorU or Examity for live, virtual proctoring, due to the compatibility, you will need to find another device to take the test on other than a Chromebook. However, you can still schedule your exams on your Chromebook through ProctorU and Examity with SmarterProctoring.
A few other things to know about SmarterProctoring is that it's 100% browser-based. That makes it very easy for anyone to use. With that, it works with any type of browser including Safari, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Google Chrome. It's also 100% contained in your Learning Management System (LMS). So if you hear your school talking about things like Blackboard or Moodle, those are considered to be an LMS, and SmarterProctoring works entirely within it. Lastly, SmarterProctoring also works on Windows and Mac devices, along with Chromebooks.
If you're going to be using your Chromebook to take your exams through automated or recorded proctoring, another bit of good news is that there is a SmarterProctoring browser extension that is absolutely free. So when you're getting ready to test, if you see a notification that says "Whoops! You need to get the extension." just click the button below and you'll be prompted on how to download the free SmarterProctoring extension so that you can take your automated or recorded-and-review exam on your Chromebook.